Last updated on March 1st, 2022 at 09:40 am
RootsMagic to go is one of the most popular features of RootsMagic software. In this blog, we will tell you how to use and install RootsMagic to go on a flash drive. Using this feature, you will be able to move the data from your computer to a flash drive using RootsMagic To-Go. as soon as you download and install RootsMagic. By default, this utility will be installed by the RootsMagic program.
Note: RootsMagic To-Go does will not transfer your multimedia files to the removable drive. Your media pathnames will remain the same.
RootsMagic To-Go Specifications
- 4GB of storage
- Compatibility: USB interface on a PC or Notebook
- Windows 95 and later, Mac OS 8.6 and later, and Linux 2.4 X are the operating systems supported
- High-speed data transfer Compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.1
- Minimum data retention period: Ten years
- 2 1/8″ x 5/8″ x 3/8″ Dimensions: 2 1/8″ x 5/8″ x 3/8″ (55mm x 16mm x 8.9mm) 0.42 oz (about) (12 g) a neck lanyard is included.
How to Transfer Data in RootsMagic To Go
Your data files will be transferred to a portable drive and then to your home computer using RootsMagic To Go.
- Firstly you have to Insert your thumb drive into the computer.
- Then, open the RootsMagic To-Go program.
- After that pick the drive letter of your thumb drive from the drop-down menu.
- Then, click the “Transfer data” button to bring you up the transfer screen.
- Choose any files you wish to pass by checking the box next to them. RootsMagic To-Go keeps track of which files you’ve modified and instructs you on how to copy each one.
- If the folder you want to switch from is really not the one you want, use the “Change Folders” button to change the sync folder with both the monitor and the flash drive.
- Click the “Transfer Files” button.
Warning: When transferring files, don’t make changes to both the screen and flash drive copies of the file without first syncing the records. If you make changes to both versions of the data files, RootsMagic To-Go won’t know which one to hold and will notify you that a disagreement has occurred. After that, you must instruct RootsMagic on which copy to hold.
Installing RootsMagic 7 to Go on a Flash Drive
Please follow the instruction below to install RootsMagic on a Flash-Drive
- There should be an icon on your computer desktop in the name of “RootsMagic 7 To-Go”. Double click on this icon to open it.
- You will see the list of removal drives. If you have not inserted your flash drive, please do so you can install the software.
- Go ahead and choose your removal drive and click on “Install RootsMagic to removal disk”
- You will get a few options with a checkmark on them, I suggest you do not uncheck them. Keep the default settings and click on install.
- Once installation is done, you will get another screen to put the registration key on. You should select the first option to use the full version of the RootsMagic To-Go feature.
- If you are using a free version, then select RootsMagic Essentials – Free version and put your name and activation key. If you have purchased the software, then select RootsMagic 7 Full version.
- The next screen will ask you to register yourself online / Phone or register later. If you have registered yourself before then you do not have to do it.
- That’s it. Your software utility will be installed on your USB flash drive now you can use this flash drive on a computer that has RootsMagic software or not. Your USB flash drive will allow you to open your database and entire software on different computers.
Why I Use RootsMagic To Go?
I almost always take my laptop when I travel specifically to do genealogy research, but I must admit that carrying it around can be a pain at times. A good example is the Family History Library. Every time I get up from where I’m working to go get another film or book, I have to grab my laptop and take it with me or risk leaving it out of sight for an extended period of time.
When visiting family, I don’t always have my laptop with me, but it would be nice to have RootsMagic with me in case the conversation turns to genealogy. You never know what you might learn. I don’t often bring my laptop while visiting relatives, but it would be great to have RootsMagic on hand in case the topic turns to genealogy. You never know what you might discover. I have to bring my work laptop when I travel for work, and carrying my personal laptop is uncomfortable and heavy.
You can get RootsMagic Software Support online from Tane Innovative concepts LLC
If you have technical questions and need remote support from us, therefore, please call our support Number +1-888-652-9580. We are Tane Innovative Concepts LLC and we charge for our Remote support technician. Please read our company policy before you use any of our services.
Q:- What is RootsMagic to go?
A:- RootsMagic to go is one of the most popular features of RootsMagic Software. Using this feature, you will be able to move the data from your computer to a flash drive using RootsMagic To Go.